Thursday, July 2, 2015

A Southern girl's thoughts on the Confederate flag

For those of y'all who know me, you already know that I am a die hard Southerner.  I'm "Southern raised and Southern bred, and when I die I'll be Southern dead." Now please, don't get me wrong,  I LOVE the USA - our beloved UNITED states. However, I firmly believe that history should NOT be re-written to fit the politically-correct agendas of our current government.  As I've written on my historical blog: A Southern Gal's Heritage there are many lies, rumors, and misconceptions surrounding the true fact of the Civil War and the South in general.  Personally I'm tired of being considered a radical, conservative, racist simply because of my Christian beliefs and my stand on politics. Nonetheless,  I'm willing to undergo this type of slander because I am not willing to compromise.  When SC Governor Nikki Haley announced the move to remove the Confederate battle flag from State grounds I was livid!!! (OK y'all that is an understatement- I was beyond livid, as my family could tell you.) 


Why is this such a big deal??  Well first, because the Rebel flag is NOT a symbol of racism.  The Southern Cross has long held a strong Christian significance and symbolism and if people would stop condemning it long enough to actually study it's origins they could actually be enlightened.  For more information on the flag please read my post here.
Second,  this is a big deal because this flag is part of our culture and heritage.  Removing the flag is to deny part of our history (granted most people don't know the true history of the South, but still.)  As Southerners, and more importantly as Christians, we should be proud of the rich heritage our battle flag represents.  Our forefathers fought for honor and right in the Civil War and we should be rising up to honor the Godly heroes, such as Robert E. Lee and Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson who fought to defend not slavery but the biblical convictions of most Southern states.  Dear readers, we must stand up and fight against the removal of our battle flag! If we allow the government to dictate what symbols we are allowed to fly (or wear) in this matter it will not be long before the government is taking complete control of our lives and taking away our freedoms.  If they ban the Southern flag now, what's to stop them from banning the US flag later on??? After all, we don't want to offend people, right? We already have the government over stepping its bounds and overriding the sovereignty of the states in legalizing homosexual marriage! As Thomas Jefferson so aptly said in the Declaration of Independence "...it is our right, it is our duty to overthrow such government."  We must stand up and defend! We need less people that are politically-correct in government and more people that are Biblically-correct in our government. I love my country and pray that God would "turn the tide" in our Nation and bring us back to Him.


No comments: